Re: [fw-wiz] Top Secret DOD Data over the Public Internet? Thoughts?

From: George Capehart (capegeo_at_opengroup.org)
Date: 08/23/04

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 18:43:13 -0400

    On Friday 20 August 2004 14:27, Marcus J. Ranum allegedly wrote:

    <snip>

    > Our "digital Pearl Harbor" is staring is in the face, and we've
    > already lost it. It happened in the 90's when The Government decided
    > that in-house expertise was too expensive and outsourcing everything
    > to beltway bandits made more sense. The result is a federal IT staff
    > that know how to read powerpoints and proposal responses. They don't
    > manage those firewalls, they're managed by contractors. By the lowest
    > bidder in many cases.

    This isn't the worst of it. My argument against outsourcing all along
    is that when an organization does that, it also outsources all of its
    intellectual capital and its "seat-of-the-pants, gut-level feel" for
    what's going on. After a while, the outsourcee knows more about the
    outsourcing organization than does the organization itself. If I were
    of a mind to take on the DoD, I'd infiltrate the beltway bandits . . .
    And *that's* doable. :<

    George Capehart