Re: [fw-wiz] Top Secret DOD Data over the Public Internet? Thoughts?

From: George Capehart (capegeo_at_opengroup.org)
Date: 08/23/04

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 18:43:13 -0400

    On Friday 20 August 2004 14:27, Marcus J. Ranum allegedly wrote:

    <snip>

    > Our "digital Pearl Harbor" is staring is in the face, and we've
    > already lost it. It happened in the 90's when The Government decided
    > that in-house expertise was too expensive and outsourcing everything
    > to beltway bandits made more sense. The result is a federal IT staff
    > that know how to read powerpoints and proposal responses. They don't
    > manage those firewalls, they're managed by contractors. By the lowest
    > bidder in many cases.

    This isn't the worst of it. My argument against outsourcing all along
    is that when an organization does that, it also outsources all of its
    intellectual capital and its "seat-of-the-pants, gut-level feel" for
    what's going on. After a while, the outsourcee knows more about the
    outsourcing organization than does the organization itself. If I were
    of a mind to take on the DoD, I'd infiltrate the beltway bandits . . .
    And *that's* doable. :<

    George Capehart

    • Re: New word in operative report
      ... I just lost my high-paying job to India. ... how are the Indians to blame for outsourcing? ...
      (sci.med.transcription)
    • Re: Will Price of Delphi and other Tools collapse?
      ... The fear of losing jobs to outsourcing is based on the same ideas as most ... have about new technology making many jobs obsolete. ... Which sounds good to everybody except the one that lost the job. ... that a clerical job lost can become a programmer job at a higher salary, ...
      (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
    • Re: ot: vodaphone staff cut woes / paging that fella that works there
      ... In article, Hog wrote: ... <SNIP> ... was on the wall. ... IMHO outsourcing everything is the recourse of companies with incompetent ...
      (uk.rec.motorcycles)
    • Re: Global Stocks Plunge.
      ... I understand what you are saying, but I suppose some would consider ... outsourcing as hiring migrant workers. ...
      (alt.sports.football.pro.ne-patriots)
    • Re: Outsourcing hits home - my home!
      ... > My sympathies, I lost an entire clinic to outsourcing about 4 years ago. ... > Cheryl B. ...
      (sci.med.transcription)