Re: [fw-wiz] Dumb newbie question

From: Jim Seymour (jseymour_at_linxnet.com)
Date: 08/17/04

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 07:55:24 -0400 (EDT)

    John Babwell <johnbabwell@mailcan.com> wrote:

    > I agree that seeing many examples first is the way to go. With the help
    > of a good book like Linux Firewalls (Ziegler), going the 'pure' route as
    > a newbie is not so bad (if you have the time to do it right at least :).
    > Seeing a commented set of rules that makes sense is even better than
    > checking out a recommended ruleset.
    [snip]

    I agree. I've always felt that old saw "A picture's worth a thousand
    words" applied to software use. Lot's of varied examples is a Good
    Thing, IMO.

    That's how I got up-to-speed quickly on iptables and ipchains:
    (ironically: iptables first): Ran a point-n-drool GUI tool and looked
    at what it created. Then compared that with what the docs and howtos
    had to say. Worked it out from there.

    On a related note: There's too much stuff to remember anymore. This is
    particularly problematical for things I don't have to touch often. So
    I usually maintain copious cheat-sheet notes.

    Router configs, for example. I tend to dump those to flat-ASCII files
    and comment them. Particularly the ACLs.

    Jim