RE: [fw-wiz] Issues opeing firewall for SSH/SecureFTP?

From: Bill Royds (broyds_at_rogers.com)
Date: 08/12/04

    To: <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:44:39 -0400

     Whether VPN or SSH is appropriate really depends on the situation. A contractor
    needing access to a particular server on your internal network would be better
    served by a VPN directly to that server with a stack that blocks splitting the
    routing when the VPN is up (no access to internal network when VPN is working).
    They can look at the server fully including using something like Terminal Server
    to run installs and diagnostics. This VPN would be through your firewall, not
    terminated at your firewall.
      But if all they needed was a single purpose access, such as file transfer then
    SFTP over SSH generally is appropriate. But remember that SSH is Secure SHELL.
    It gives command line access to the remote machine, which means a lot of control
    over your server. Some clients and servers can control it to only allow SFTP,
    but one has to set things up carefully to avoid giving access to the system.