Re: [fw-wiz] Port 37628....Is it just another port or out of the extra ordinary???

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjr_at_ranum.com)
Date: 07/27/04

    To: Mark Tinberg <mtinberg@securepipe.com>, Victor Williams <vbwilliams@neb.rr.com>
    Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 00:28:15 -0400

    Mark Tinberg wrote:
    >This attitude is a pet peeve of mine. Why do people assume that because
    >they _can_ build a kernel for themselves that they must naturally be
    >better at it then the people at RedHat, SuSE/Novell or Debian who live,
    >sleep, eat and breathe the kernel all day long.

    Because they have different agendas. The guys who are building
    kernels for public consumption are motivated to include /dev/kitchensink
    whereas those who are building kernels for security ought to be motivated
    in exactly the opposite direction. I don't think that security practitioners
    necessarily should "throw the baby out with the bath water" but it's
    much more important for them to understand the relative proportional
    importance of baby V bathwater and its effect on security.

    Put another way, you could just as easily make the same argument
    for M$ Windows: " Why do people assume that because they _can_
    configure a Windows system for themselves that they must naturally be
    better at it then the people at Microsoft who live, sleep, eat and breathe
    Windows all day long."??

    'Nuff said?

    mjr.