[fw-wiz] (no subject)

From: Spearman, William CONT (FISC YOKO) (William_W_Spearman_at_yoko.fisc.navy.mil)
Date: 07/26/04

    To: "Wizards List Firewall (E-mail)" <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:23:35 +0900

    Wizards,

    I've just joined, so if this has been a discussion in the past and you
    will lead me to the thread in the archives, I'll go there.

    We've encountered a problem with the PIX firewall and it's interaction
    with Windows Update (from Windows 2000 workstation sp4).

    Using the following url:
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp (which is the
    default) we see a message from the update server that, and I quote:

    "Administrators Only
    To install items from Windows Update, you must be logged on as an
    administrator or a member of the Administrators group. If your computer
    is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you
    from completing this procedure.
    "

    HOWEVER, when we change the "http" to "https", we see this:

    "Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update Software"
    followed by "Welcome to Windows Update"

    Have any of you see this through your PIX or heard reports of this
    through any other venue?

    Bill Spearman
    LAN Administrator
    FISC Yokosuka
    DSN: 243-9102
    Comm: 81-46-816-9102

    • Re: Unable to update XP-SP2 Home
      ... To install items from Windows Update, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group. ... This error message may occur if you have insufficient permissions to the Windows Update registry keys. ... Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • RE: Windows 98SE - Windows update problem
      ... My WinME machine has been getting updates every week for a couple years - ... today it says "Administrators Only" ... ... network policy settings may also preventyou from ... > I CAN RUN WINDOWS UPDATE FOR OFFICE, BUT NOT FOR WINDOWS UPDATE IT'S SELF. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • [fw-wiz] RE: PIX Problem
      ... We've encountered a problem with the PIX firewall and it's interaction ... with Windows Update. ... administrator or a member of the Administrators group. ... network policy settings may also prevent you ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Windows Update Failing - Error 0x800A0046
      ... I have made sure the account I'm using is only a member of administrators, ... >> I then attempted to try the Windows Update site again, no luck, still ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update)
    • Re: Administrators only message
      ... Be sure you are in the local administrators group: ... Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the ... Download the latest version of the Windows Update agent from here: ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)