Re: [fw-wiz] iso 17799

From: Bennett Todd (bet_at_rahul.net)
Date: 07/19/04

    To: "J. Oquendo" <sil@kungfunix.net>
    Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:20:02 +0000

    2004-07-19T18:30:26 J. Oquendo:
    > Financial management and reporting have a lot of credibility? I'm
    > sure [one of the recent newsorthy villains] would have loved you.

    The folks designating Best Practices in financial reporting have a
    lot of credibility, was what I said. That's folks like the FASB.
    Folks who fail to follow them, or hunt for loopholes in them that
    require patching, understandably don't share that credibility. I
    tried to write to make clear which I was referring to, apparently I
    failed.

    > Anyway, computer science maturing has little to do with compsec
    > from my point of view [...]

    Understandably, there's no reason to hope we'll be alive when it
    begins to happen. We gotta do computer security now, even though
    we're having to make it up as we go along.

    > Best practices should be used as somewhat of a guideline, [...]

    Well, after a fashion. Best Practices, in the context of computer
    security, should be used as a touchstone for the ignorant and/or
    fraudulent, trying to pretend that their field is sufficiently
    mature to have something analogous to Best Practices.

    -Bennett

    • Re: Answer to eadg being a jerk (was Re: Showmanship)
      ... Your credibility doesn't depend on the perceptions of ... other folks who ... I see you've overlooked the numerous insults that eadg has ... I don't think I've ever fiddled with a bass in my ...
      (alt.guitar.bass)
    • Re: Answer to eadg being a jerk (was Re: Showmanship)
      ... Your credibility doesn't depend on the perceptions of ... other folks who ... I see you've overlooked the numerous insults that eadg has ... I don't think I've ever fiddled with a bass in my ...
      (alt.guitar.bass)
    • Re: JSH: Prime counting should be easier
      ... Proving that folks can be more offensive than JSH? ... His employment history is his bloody business. ... If he is fully employed that adds to his credibility. ... Let his mathematics speak for themselves. ...
      (sci.math)
    • Re: JSH: Prime counting should be easier
      ... Proving that folks can be more offensive than JSH? ... If he is fully employed that adds to his credibility. ... Let his mathematics speak for themselves. ... If he worked for Bell Labs, or MIT Math department, or had a PHD in Math, ...
      (sci.math)
    • and yet more lies dloyd you are spasing out today
      ... " Without going into the sickening details about the bi- ... gay lifestyle, which most folks are already too aware of their ... practices, due to the conservative media's coverage of the causes for ...
      (rec.radio.amateur.policy)