Re: [fw-wiz] More Syslog Questions

From: Frank Knobbe (frank_at_knobbe.us)
Date: 07/16/04

    To: Nathaniel Hall <halln@otc.edu>
    Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 00:02:16 -0500

    On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 15:10, Nathaniel Hall wrote:
    > In an effort to make the log server as secure as possible, I would
    > like to find a way to use an append only file system. Unfortunately,
    > if this is done, logs cannot be rotated using logrotate so the server
    > must be taken down to single user mode to rotate the logs, causing the
    > loss of many log entries.

    May I suggest you look at alternative syslog daemons? I personally
    prefer syslog-ng. I have it configured so that that it creates unique
    etc. No need to rotate the logs as you have one file per day per log
    type. It is very easy to configure.

    Furthermore you can forward syslog messages between hosts via TCP which
    makes it very easy to tunnel data over SSL or SSH to a central log
    server.

    Check it out at http://www.balabit.com/products/syslog_ng

    Regards,
    Frank

    • Re: ssh and kerberos
      ... Your ssh_config file on both client and server ... Workaround: inserting the following in ... # How often to rotate kdc.log. ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Mouse orientation problem with kdrive server on Zaurus
      ... I can use the mouse if I rotate it 90-degrees to the left of normal, but then pushing buttons requires a bit of dexterity. ... The problem comes from the fact that the server is called with 480x640 geometry rotated 270 degrees. ... If I remove the rotation, then the mouse movements make sense with respect to the screen, but of course the display is sideways. ... I can't adjust the xserver config file, since this server apparently does not read any such file. ...
      (comp.os.linux.x)
    • [fw-wiz] More Syslog Questions
      ... I am in the process of setting up a centralized syslog server running RedHat ... down to single user mode to rotate the logs, causing the loss of many log ... Ozarks Technical Community College -- Office of Computer Networking ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] More Syslog Questions
      ... > I am in the process of setting up a centralized syslog server running RedHat ... > down to single user mode to rotate the logs, causing the loss of many log ... the chattr command on ext2/3 filesystems is useful. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: A Caching Issue - I Suspect
      ... > optionally rotate the photo. ... > rotated (on the server), but the aspx page in the client will refresh ... After every rotation request sent from the browser, ...