RE: [fw-wiz] Certification

From: Chris Pugrud (chris_at_pugrud.net)
Date: 06/21/04

    To: hermit921 <hermit921@yahoo.com>, firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 05:22:29 -0700 (PDT)

    I'm in the middle of a graduate degree in Information Security and Assurance.
    about half of the classes are open notes/book/whatever (Internet if the
    wireless is having a good day). Most of these tests are much harder because no
    amount of searching the materials will find you the answer. You have to
    understand the question and how to answer it. Searching the
    book/notes/slides/google will help you find details required and specific
    technical figures, but you have to know what you are looking for. It's a bit
    more like real life.

    I've found certifications to only be useful in getting jobs. If you are a
    consultant, you are constantly "getting jobs" and will find that cert much more
    valuable. Getting various certifications has been rewarding based upon
    incentives from current employers, but certifications don't help people keep
    their job.

    Certifications have helped me tell colorful stories in interviews, but I
    honestly doubt I've ever been hired for a certification. I have never hired
    anyone based upon their certification, but it was something I took into account
    in the interview (i.e. if someone is certified, I drill them extra hard on that
    area to make sure they really understand the material, and not just the test).

    It's like life: IANAL, YMMV, TANSTAAFL, etc...

    Chris

    --- hermit921 <hermit921@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > I took a graduate computer class in graph theory several years ago. The
    > professor handed out the class notes the first day and told us all exams
    > were open book (including his notes and any we might take). I loved the
    > notes. I could concentrate on his discussions of why and how since the
    > what was already documented. The exams were difficult - "diagram an
    > algorithm and explain why that approach is a good one" - and the notes
    > didn't help one bit. But it was a great class. I wish certification exams
    > could be done that way.
    >
    > hermit

    • Re: MCSE vs Bachelors Degree for good jobs?
      ... I have looked for jobs online lately and some jobs ... Is getting an MCSE worth it? ... need a Bachelors in CIS to get good sys admin jobs? ... Do any sysadmins in this forum have Linux certifications? ...
      (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse)
    • Re: MCSE vs Bachelors Degree for good jobs?
      ... admin status, ... I have looked for jobs online lately and some jobs ... Is getting an MCSE worth it? ... Do any sysadmins in this forum have Linux certifications? ...
      (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse)
    • Re: MCAD / MCSD Learning.
      ... you will get the type of jobs that all the MVP's ... you see on these newsgroups that also have certifications. ... it doesn't set a standard in the real world for getting ...
      (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
    • RE: University Degree or CISSP
      ... but I find that most of the jobs in the ... states require a BS or _equivalent work experience_. ... or retained if the job is at or above one's current skill ... > university degree on information security than certifications such as ...
      (Security-Basics)