Re: Certification (was Re:[fw-wiz] Vulnerability Response)

From: Paul D. Robertson (
Date: 06/19/04

    To: Dave Piscitello <>
    Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:30:51 -0400 (EDT)

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Dave Piscitello wrote:

    > > > Expert, n: someone who has made all of the mistakes. See "consultant".
    > > >

    > >I strongly disagree. $consultant != 'expert'. Most of the consultants
    > >out there have great PR and soft skills and limited technical skills.
    > >There are soooo many clueless consultants out there, way more than
    > >cluefull ones...
    > I hope the moderator will put this thread to bed, as it's degenerating
    > into digital racism. Once we begin blanket condemnation of any group
    > we aren't acting much like wizards...

    Sure we are, we're smiting! You can't have wizards without a good smiting
    or two! Me? I call for a blanket condemnation of attackers.

    There, I feel better now. Good thing it's Friday.

    Seriously, no need for anyone to get wrapped up in it, there's nothing
    wrong with a little give an take- it's really amusing to see otherwise
    rational folks defend consulting or certifications, or attack consulting
    or certifications based upon their status as such- now, is the status due
    to the belief, or the belief due to the status? That's the interesting
    question in these threads...

    Paul D. Robertson "My statements in this message are personal opinions which may have no basis whatsoever in fact." Director of Risk Assessment TruSecure Corporation
    firewall-wizards mailing list