[fw-wiz] RE: Certification

From: Kelly, Chris W. (ckelly_at_hsutx.edu)
Date: 06/14/04

    To: "Don Parker" <dparker@rigelksecurity.com>, "Laura Taylor" <ltaylor@relevanttechnologies.com>, "Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr" <gwen@reptiles.org>, "Margles Singleton" <margles_s@hotmail.com>
    Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:43:28 -0500

    <RANT>
    Well - that doesn't apply here. Our manager was picked because the
    director likes him. He came in with zero tech skills (he can hook up
    computers and sorta troubleshoot an IP phone now though) and he has very
    little people skills because he "only" has a masters in family
    phsychology and zero management training. And after a year - he's now a
    Jr. VP. We're a university - and management seems to make a point of
    hiring people for positions with little or no qualifications for the
    position. Education counts - but it doesn't have to be specific. Mr.
    Jr. VP hired a person to do a bunch of SQL stuff - instead of sending
    the people in the dept to training. She's really the new B. Ball coach,
    but needs a job for a few months to finish some classes for her degree.
    Our new director of Financial Aid has a masters in music and was a band
    director for 29 years. Zero FinAid skills. Nothing like being an
    alumni, eh? If I came in here with a list of certs and I wasn't young
    and pretty with good hair - I'd never get a call back.
    </RANT>
    > On Jun 12, "Laura Taylor" <ltaylor@relevanttechnologies.com> wrote:
    >
    > Certification is only a qualifier of technical skills. From
    > my experience, there is always an obvious solution for the
    > technical problems. The people problems are much more
    > difficult to solve, and only years of experience polishes up
    > a person's people skills. Typically what separates junior
    > level folks from senior level, or executive level, folks is
    > more often not their technical skills, but their people
    > skills -- at least in my opinion.
    >
    > Laura Taylor
    > Relevant Technologies, Inc.
    > www.relevanttechnologies.com

    • Re: "I knew..."
      ... One of the most important skills ... set the probability of all other possibilities at zero. ... it's unheard of in poker for a player to vary his line ...
      (rec.gambling.poker)
    • Re: "I knew..."
      ... One of the most important skills ... set the probability of all other possibilities at zero. ... it's unheard of in poker for a player to vary his line ...
      (rec.gambling.poker)
    • Re: music resources
      ... Elaine Jackson a écrit: ... > busy for some time, since I'm essentially starting from zero. ... The kind of tool you need depends on your skills in music and what you ...
      (comp.lang.python)
    • Re: Am I the only one that doesnt like Terry...
      ... He's just boring and stupid (he seemingly has ... zero people skills with anyone not from his background), ...
      (alt.tv.survivor)
    • Job Requirements
      ... Network and System Management Product ... Net, SQL and web Services) ... Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ... Experience with Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Biz Talk Server, Active ...
      (uk.education.maths)