[fw-wiz] Putting MS servers behind firewalls

From: Dilan Walgampaya (Dilan_at_dpitl.com)
Date: 06/07/04

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 12:23:34 +0600

    Hi Wizards,

            I ran in to a problem putting Microsoft Servers behind a firewall. The
    users has to go through the FW to access the servers. The servers I
    wanted to put are on an AD domain. There were AD server, File server and
    an Exchange server. These servers need a large no. of services opened
    for proper operation. The worse is that exchange server work in a
    dynamic port setup where the server opens a random port for each
    different client. MS site has some registry edits that is supposed to
    correct this dynamic port setup issue. But when I tried these they did
    not work as per the document describes.

            Has anybody done this kind of a setup (with other than an ISA server).
    I am interested in doing this with Netscreen/Pix and Linux IPTables. Any
    help is appreciated.

    Thanks in advance

    Dilan

    • RE: [fw-wiz] Putting MS servers behind firewalls
      ... of the services that must talk bi-directionally through the firewall ... There were AD server, File ... > an Exchange server. ... > correct this dynamic port setup issue. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] Putting MS servers behind firewalls
      ... You need to allow inbound TCP 25 to the exchange server. ... Run TCPDump or Ethereal on your firewall to test the connections and see what else is going on that you may want to allow/disallow. ... correct this dynamic port setup issue. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • [fw-wiz] Putting MS servers behind firewalls (Dilan Walgampaya)
      ... What about the Domain Controller ... I assume that is what is meant by "AD Server". ... The worse is that exchange server work in a ... >> correct this dynamic port setup issue. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • OWA... Cant get it to work.
      ... Do you install iis together with the exchange server in ... with the Microsoft Outlook Web Access components that are ... Microsoft Exchange Server ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange.misc)
    • RE: Catchall not working, EXTERNALLY?
      ... Exchange server 2003 supports multiple clients, such as OWA, MAPI ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... When I open the connection (over internet) to my exchange account, ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)