[fw-wiz] Prohibiting SSL VPNs

From: John Kougoulos (koug_at_intranet.gr)
Date: 05/20/04

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 13:40:46 +0300 (EEST)

    Hello all,

    Does anybody have any ideas on how I could prohibit the usage of SSL VPNs
    like the one offered by F5 (Firepass), since this requires only the
    ability for the client to make an https connection (bypassing any kind of
    firewall/proxy)? Since this product (or any similar) creates some kind of
    PPP connection over https, installs routes on the PC etc. it will create a
    lot of problems. (see also: Worms, Air Gaps etc)

    I know that I could possibly stop the downloading of ActiveX/Java applets
    via some kind of web filtering software but this also has a lot of
    side effects, or I could use some kind of whitelist for https connections,
    but this is too difficult to manage/maintain.

    Thanks,
    John