Re: [fw-wiz] Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin_at_immunix.com)
Date: 05/07/04

    To: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul@compuwar.net>
    Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 15:02:24 -0700

    Paul D. Robertson wrote:

    >With all the money spent on "security" solutions that aren't as effective
    >as "don't connect"- how many companies even look at their user population
    >risk profiles and architect for it? Not connecting is *really* cheap and
    >*really* effective.

    Really effective I'll believe (it definitely is secure) but really cheap
    I will challenge. IT facilities like e-mail and web do a lot to reduce
    operational costs. If you declare everyone's workstation to be
    "production" and disconnect them from the Internet then you may end up
    deploying a second set of workstations for Internet access, and that is
    not cheap.

    OTOH, I advocate somewhat less drastic solutions like "don't use
    Windows", which is also "really cheap and really effective", and "adult
    supervision" tells me how unrealistic my proposal is with objections
    similar to my objections for disconnecting.

    Crispin

    --
    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/
    CTO, Immunix          http://immunix.com