RE: [fw-wiz] Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjr_at_ranum.com)
Date: 05/07/04

    To: Carson Gaspar <carson@taltos.org>, firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 18:45:37 -0400

    Carson Gaspar wrote:
    >I agree. My response was to you're "what excuse do they have" question. In my specific industry, they have a bunch.

    I think those excuses are predicated on an implicit business assumption
    that security is not cost-justified. But businesses are being conditioned
    (thanks to all the "security researchers" out there...) to be aware that
    security is a problem. So - since it's not cost-justified BUT they know
    they should do something about it: they produce excuses instead.

    mjr.

    • Re: write with cURL
      ... you can stop making excuses. ... up an account for you, process the billing, etc. ... possible features from a web site to make up for the security issues. ... Nothing you have told me shows me you know how to lock down a server ...
      (alt.php)
    • Re: password?
      ... I'm not trying to make excuses for anyone/anything. ... certainly wasn't bitching about any lack of security in Win2K. ... how to enable automatic login. ... while physically sitting at my kids desk. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
    • Re: What did you watch? 2013-05-09 (Thursday)
      ... security budget. ... excuses are. ... the budget for security at foreign ... I doubt the issue of a consulate (this wasn't the embassy) having any ...
      (rec.arts.tv)
    • Re: What did you watch? 2013-05-09 (Thursday)
      ... security budget. ... excuses are. ... the budget for security at foreign ... I doubt the issue of a consulate (this wasn't the embassy) having any ...
      (rec.arts.tv)
    • Re: Troubling Surveillance Before Benghazi Attack
      ... failed to fulfill requests for additional security. ... We can add that one to the prodigious list of excuses that this ... administration has for everything. ...
      (rec.sport.golf)