RE: [fw-wiz] iChat A/V and Cisco PIX 501 (6.3)

From: Melson, Paul (PMelson_at_sequoianet.com)
Date: 04/28/04

To: "Brian Galdino" <briangaldino@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:12:52 -0400

You probably won't be able to use DHCP with statics on your network as
you describe it. The only way I could think of to do this would be
statically map a MAC address to an IP address on your DHCP server.
Which, BTW, isn't a feature of the PIX dhcpd.

The way I would set this up in an office environment would be to use a
NAT pool with an overload address and DHCP. That way, assuming that the
number of users is close to the number of public addresses in the NAT
pool, most users would automatically get a static NAT, and would only
use global PAT if there were no more available external addresses in the
NAT pool.

PaulM

  • Re: [opensuse] KNetworkManager and OpenVPN - SUSE 10.3
    ... Ethernet, since I expect to use it mostly at home, and I left the ... But ideally I would like the wireless card ... to have a static address also at home, and DHCP everywhere else. ... I use statics for servers and dhcp for all others. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Static AND DHCP on same NIC
    ... >Why can't you set up DHCP on the office network? ... >> Is there a way, through profiles or something, that I ... >> therefore the same settings, ... >statics in this day & age? ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: DHCP and static IP addresses
    ... And your internet connection is more reliable than your SBS server? ... But the thing about another SBS DHCP scope??? ... include another DNS server. ... server to start above say aaa.bbb.ccc.50, and keep all your statics ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: DHCP and static IP addresses
    ... that static ips, even for only 4 systems, is the best way to go. ... You also could and maybe should, just define the scope of your DHCP server ... and keep all your statics under 49. ... I am setting up my SBS 2003 server for remote access. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Windows XP Clients WINS registrations
    ... DHCP Server or are they assigned statically? ... but for the special cases you can have statics in a dhcp ... rights, they could wreak havoc on the network by changing the names, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)