RE: [fw-wiz] Stanford break in

From: Paul D. Robertson (paul_at_compuwar.net)
Date: 04/23/04

    To: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson@sequoianet.com>
    Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:23:35 -0400 (EDT)

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Melson, Paul wrote:

    > The problem is that precomputational guessing attacks like RainbowCrack
    > for NTLM and AsLeap for Cisco LEAP have cut the amount of actual time
    > necessary to calculate a password from its ciphertext to a minute
    > fraction of what previous dictionary or brute-force attacks required.
    > And though you can use an unseemly password policy to make these attacks
    > difficult now, storage and processing capacity will continue to become
    > greater and cheaper. However, I don't expect that we'll start adding
    > more characters to our keyboards at a rate that can keep up.

    That's one of the reasons that I think password length and character games
    aren't worth the pain- I'm not sure they reduce risk all that much
    considering the support costs (it'd be interesting to trend "forgotten"
    passwords with weather patterns, holidays and weekends in large
    organizations!)

    There are two different things that I think we tend to use password
    systems for (a) separating physically present users, and (b) separating
    legitimate users from attackers. To me, (a) seems to be the best use of
    passwords, and (b) really needs to be all about access to the
    authentication method, rather than the method itself.

    Vin's reminder that regulation requires stronger authentication is a good
    one, though I'm not sure the regulation provides all that much risk
    reduction over good control of the access mechanism. I've seen tokens
    taped on monitors with the PIN sticked to them.

    Stopping user 1 from logging in to user 2's account is solved by
    non-obvious, but trivial passwords and a change timeframe. Harder
    passwords encourage writing/sharing and stop (a) and on-site (b) from
    being protected against effectively. But then exposed systems that don't
    do enough reporting are dictionary attackable for (b) and that's where
    "strong" passwords can help, unless the attacker has access to the hashes,
    or the input vector (such as keyboard logging.) Both cases shouldn't
    intersect if architecture is done well, other than in edge cases- but
    single sign-on breaks that assumption.

    Paul

    • RE: [fw-wiz] strong passwords (was Radius/MS ISA stuff)
      ... > Of Paul Robertson ... For a completely random hex password it's a pure 4 bits of entropy per ... So, we need 16 random hex characters, or 10 random typeables. ... The trouble is that memorable or, worse, dictionary passwords have ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: passwords
      ... There are times when one must not mince words - Paul understands that ... Behalf Of Paul Edwards ... BULDJOB1 for the passwords, don't you? ... To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * ...
      (comp.sys.hp.mpe)
    • Re: Mail message at log in
      ... You are most welcome, Paul. ... realize that these unread messages can be due to other than Outlook or OE. ... > "Manage Passwords" there was nothing there to remove. ... >>> box has any unread mail in it. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Script for resetting password
      ... As Paul said you will have to write your own. ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ... > We need to reset the passwords of about 200 users in AD. ... > ID's, e-mail addresses, new passwords etc in an excel file. ...
    • RE: VmWare and Pen-test Learning
      ... Setup a tftp server on your client machine. ... Use John the Ripper to crack the passwords. ... (dictionary attacks, brute force, single mode). ... Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed service can help ...
      (Pen-Test)