Re: [fw-wiz] Waning Security

From: Chuck Vose (vosechu_at_roman-fleuve.com)
Date: 04/23/04

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:26:41 -0700

    > I'm sure at this point, with all the virtual shooting going on, the
    > original poster has been more than educated on "shoulda, coulda, woulda"
    > stuff. I really hope he's not put off communicating with this community,
    > because we already have enough communication problems without all the
    > unhelpful shootings happening. If the defensive community is to have a
    > hope of outdoing the attacker community, we're going to *have* to start
    > sharing potentially embarrassing information. We're also going to have to
    > start blaming the attackers for attacking, not people on our side.
    >
    > Paul

    I'll stick around for a bit, for each negative reply in the list I got
    at least one person emailing off list sharing experiences and helping me
    calm down. I figure that's a pretty good ratio of nice to not nice
    people.

    Chuck

    • Re: A Cyber-Attack on an American City
      ... Just after midnight on Thursday, April 9, unidentified attackers ... American city. ... Commerce was disrupted in a 100-mile swath around the community, ... Kentucky (where our power only went out briefly) I am considering ...
      (alt.2600)
    • Re: A Cyber-Attack on an American City
      ... Just after midnight on Thursday, April 9, unidentified attackers ... climbed down four manholes serving the Northern California city of ... Commerce was disrupted in a 100-mile swath around the community, ... Kentucky (where our power only went out briefly) I am considering it, ...
      (alt.2600)
    • Re: A Cyber-Attack on an American City
      ... What was the attackers goal? ... very wealthy community were cut off. ... Kentucky (where our power only went out briefly) I am considering ... People who have never experienced a real disaster just don't ...
      (alt.2600)
    • Re: A Cyber-Attack on an American City
      ... Just after midnight on Thursday, April 9, unidentified attackers climbed down four manholes serving the Northern California city of Morgan Hill and cut eight fiber cables in what appears to have been an organized attack on the electronic infrastructure of an American city. ... Commerce was disrupted in a 100-mile swath around the community, from San Jose to Gilroy and Monterey. ... During the ice storm in Kentucky, there were large portions of the state which had no power and were totally inaccessible to emergency vehicles. ...
      (alt.2600)