RE: [fw-wiz] PocketPC firewalls

From: Paul D. Robertson (paul_at_compuwar.net)
Date: 04/22/04

    To: Williams Jon <WilliamsJonathan@JohnDeere.com>
    Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:55:22 -0400 (EDT)

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Williams Jon wrote:

    > That was the take we've had for a while, although recent changes (i.e.
    > certain iPAQs coming with built in 802.11 access, etc.) have made us
    > question that. Hopefully, these machines won't have mission critical

    It's good to revisit it fairly often, but at this point, there's just not
    heaps of exploit code out for them. By the time that there's a real
    threat, we'll likely have more options for protection. At this point, I'd
    seriously look more at strategies for keeping them up to date- since we're
    likely to have more of the same client-side "it has to go through the
    firewall" problems anyway. I doubt that PocketPC has (but I haven't
    looked) all that many dangling services, but I'd bet the Web and mail
    clients are about par for the course.

    > data on them, but many of the users I know sync their email and address
    > books to their PDAs, so some users might inadvertantly have important
    > information we wouldn't want leaking. For normal files, we're also
    > looking at file-level encryption, but since we were looking at the PDA
    > security question, we wanted to make sure we hadn't overlooked anything.

    Yeah, I just think that at this juncture, a firewall is more of a placebo
    than a valuable control. Now, that could change, and if it does, then
    ability to have on in place becomes important, but I really don't see it
    as a major threat vector for a while (I bet the loss stats for PDAs well
    outweigh the attack stats, which well outweigh the successful attack
    stats.)

    In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that I doubt there's been a real
    PDA attack in the wild, even with 802.11 (and I'd concentrate more on WPA
    for folks who use them at home than I would a firewall...)

    I'd also hate to take support calls for things that "don't work" on a PDA,
    since lots of salespeople *need* them to work *now*. If there's an
    alternative browser like Opera available, I'd be looking at rolling that
    out well before a firewall.

    Just my .02.

    Paul

    • Re: ActiveSync not working with X51V
      ... ActiveSync application on the device? ... I tried this procedure for both Firewall enabled and Firewall disabled ... problem gone (until I sync with my laptop - IR sync). ... ping the PDA. ...
      (microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync)
    • Re: HP iPAQ rx1950 + Mobile 5 + AS4.1 = Problems!!
      ... I suspect that it is the firewall that is causing the problem. ... Strange thing, but okay, it's Windows. ... Now Activesnyc tried to connect to the PDA but a message appears saying ...
      (microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync)
    • Re: ActiveSync not working with X51V
      ... the AS4.1 problems were all caused by my PDA (I ... firewall and see if you can sync then. ... problem gone (until I sync with my laptop - IR sync). ...
      (microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync)
    • Re: ActiveSync not working with X51V
      ... unreachable by the PDA. ... I tried this procedure for both Firewall enabled and Firewall disabled ... problem gone (until I sync with my laptop - IR sync). ...
      (microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync)
    • Re: Cant sync contacts with my PDA or add or delete contacts in Outlook
      ... I checked the firewall and the exceptions are ... Activesync and remote access. ... everything I modify never syncs with the PDA. ...
      (microsoft.public.pocketpc)