[fw-wiz] Looking for papers on protecting servers

From: LazlÚ Carreidas (LazloCarreidas_at_netscape.net)
Date: 04/07/04

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com, focus-IDS@securityfocus.com, security-management@securityfocus.com
    Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 06:57:52 -0400

    My fellow experts,

    I have been requested to write a document that would describe the different means to "protect" a specific server in a datacentre (except for the continuous patching process, of course...)

    There are several possibilities (individual or combined):
      - firewall as a "datacentre door"
      - firewall (kind of "personal") over the server
      - good HIDS and NIDS
      - some kind of "security agent" that would raise an alert when needed
      - etc...

    I am looking for opinions, papers, etc... that could help me writing this document.

    Thank you for your help

      LazlÚ

    [Sorry for the multiple post]

    Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

    • Re: Software advice
      ... >> Microsoft makes security patches available automatically for Windows ... If I do use a different firewall, ... > I should probably stop using Netscape 4 for everything, ...
      (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
    • =?iso-8859-1?Q?Namensaufl=F6seproblem_in_Verbindung_mit_Netscape?=
      ... Von wanadoo gibt es eine Firewall mit Virenschutz auf dem PC, bei genauerem hinsehen entpuppt sich dieses als F-Secure produkt. ...
      (microsoft.public.de.german.windowsxp.networking)
    • Re: How can I kill IE?!?!?!!?
      ... > I see it as MS monopolizing again like they did with IE over Netscape. ... > even close to safe, ... That firewall, IIRC, controls only the incoming traffic and not the ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • IE opens with an ad while using Netscape
      ... could be coming from aim, ... do you have a firewall? ... could be a java applet ... >When I am using Netscape, ...
    • Re: Cracking Servers W/O open ports: Packet Filter Firewall
      ... proxy service? ... If you read firewall books, docs, lists, etc, people often say that you ... Not sure if snort is just NIDS or HIDS as well. ...
      (Security-Basics)