[fw-wiz] outbound traffic security risk

From: Hilal Hussein (hilalma_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 03/23/04

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:50:12 +0000

    Dear List,

    I would like to ask about the risk of opening outbound port traffics in the
    firewall.

    currently, i am opening the outbound ports traffic based on the user
    request, as pop3, and smtp traffics. I red about some risk that could be in
    some kind of outbound traffics which might pass java scripts, or trojan
    horses, or other kind of attacks during the opened session from users
    (inside the network) to the outbound.

    so please, i need to know of any risk that could come with some kind of
    outbound traffics, and if there is a good link for resources about the
    latest news of vulnerabilities of such outbound traffics.

    your respond is highly appreciated,

    with regards,

    Hilal

    • Re: [fw-wiz] outbound traffic security risk
      ... > I would like to ask about the risk of opening outbound port traffics in the ... The more you allow, the less value you get from the firewall, until a ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] outbound traffic security risk
      ... > I would like to ask about the risk of opening outbound port traffics in the ... by using a proxy and not allowing clients direct access ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] Benefit of firewall over NAT-only protected network
      ... > setup to allow all outbound traffic and let the 'responses' back in. ... You shouldn't choose "basically no security policy, now what firewall ... probertson@trusecure.com Director of Risk Assessment TruSecure Corporation ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Techysheddi to the Bridge Please
      ... For outbound you could allow everything. ... The risk of allowing all outbound is if a trojan gets onto the chamine it can contact anything anywhere that it wants to ... The risk of being selective is that something sometime is bound to want to use other ports which will either not jbex causing mother to phone you, or pop up "worrying" dialog boxes asking for permission, causing mother to phone you. ...
      (uk.rec.sheds)