RE: [fw-wiz] Evolution of Firewalls

From: Melson, Paul (PMelson_at_sequoianet.com)
Date: 03/08/04

    To: <skpoo@pacific.net.sg>, <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 16:35:49 -0500

    One thing that I would caution you about is to not confuse conceptual
    access control methodologies for the actual firewall products that go in
    your rack. There is a great leap from theory to implementation, and an
    even greater leap from marketing hype to actual product specifications
    and capabilities. And both of those leaps are the stuff of proprietary
    code and trade secrets.

    You will save a lot of time by first defining the capabilities and
    requirements for your corporate firewall, then evaluating individual
    products against that criteria. If you decide which products to
    consider based on which conceptual methodology their marketing
    literature invokes, you run the risk of ending up with a product that
    meets neither your needs nor your expectations.

    PaulM