Re: [fw-wiz] Multiple small switches vs. a single big one; Granularity of control

From: Mike Meredith (mike.meredith_at_port.ac.uk)
Date: 03/03/04

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 11:40:05 +0000

    On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:36:01 -0500, Sloane, David wrote:
    > Can anyone with some good Cisco depth rebut these assumptions about a
    > 6500-series switch "losing it's configuration?"

    That's not me ... I'm still learning, but ...

    > nodes). If you really need gigabit speed firewall throughput between
    > those networks, the FWSM will probably give you the best throughput
    > because it sits on the highest-speed link. For example, the switch
    > fabric on the 6500 series is up to 720Gbps, depending on the

    The supervisor engine may be capable of 720Gbps, but the FWSM certainly
    isn't. A single FWSM gives you 5Gbps; four gives you 20Gbps.

    > supervisor engine. The FWSM looks like a variant on the PIX OS (with
    > a different development/testing cycle) and the feature set seems more
    > limited than the current PIX.

    I haven't spotted many limits on the feature set, but yes it's much like
    the PIX OS but lagging slightly.

    --
    Mike Meredith, Senior Informatics Officer
    University of Portsmouth: Hostmaster, Postmaster and Security

    • Re: internal firewall suggestions required
      ... There are noticable differences between the FWSM and PIX. ... VPN in a separate module is not a bad idea. ... Many of the other firewalls ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: internal firewall suggestions required
      ... There are noticable differences between the FWSM and PIX. ... incorporates many of those features. ... FWSM is also more flexible in the order of operations viz a viz routing. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] Cisco ASA and FWSM
      ... catalyst switch chassis. ... and an ASA is a PIX 7.x that is ... the configuration language was 99.9% compatible between the ASA ... and the FWSM, at least as of PIX 7.0. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Same static NAT on two firewalls...advice needed
      ... I plan to migrate my firewalling from a Pix525 to a FWSM. ... My idea is to move all statics and NAT/PAT entries from the Pix to the ... VPN terminated at the PIX, at the same time the external IPs of these ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)