RE: IPS (was: [fw-wiz] Sources for Extranet Designs?)

From: Paul Robertson (proberts_at_patriot.net)
Date: 02/26/04

    To: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr@ranum.com>
    Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:42:00 -0500 (EST)

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

    > >Some of the network IPS vendors are profiting from the need to throttle undesirable traffic (file sharing) at universities.
    >
    > Anyone on the list care to corroborate this?

    I've heard of some people throwing these up to try to stave off the RIAA
    lawyers- but I think that makes it more of an anti-lawsuit technology than
    a security technology- basically it's a shoring up of the bad apple
    defense- if by throttle, he means "prevent," otherwise everyone I know is
    using firewalls or routers to do bandwidth limitation.

    [The folks who'd buy this are probably the same ones who's silly content
    filters blocked your original message based on one keyword, s__y!]

    Paul