Plumbers... was Re: [fw-wiz] Sources for Extranet Designs?

From: Gary Flynn (flynngn_at_jmu.edu)
Date: 02/24/04

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:21:14 -0500

    Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

    >Frederick M Avolio wrote:
    >

    >>No. He said, "Security is like onions, it makes your eyes burn and leaves you burping."
    >>

    >Actually, the Onion remark was one of Steve Bellovin's. ;)
    >
    >*MINE* was at SANS in 1997 in Baltimore:
    >"I guess we should all just quit doing security and become
    >plumbers.
    >No.
    >Wait.
    >Security *IS* like being a plumber!! You still have to worry
    >about the flow of stuff and the thickness of your pipes. You have
    >no control over the stuff you're going to have to deal with,
    >and it all stinks about equally. Marketing people put whatever stuff
    >they like into your pipes, and when the pipes burst you're
    >still left to clean the stuff up and your customers are going to
    >blame you for what they flushed."

    That is a start but that is just the network administration part
    of the job.

    Security folks also contend with determining who is sitting on the pot
    when the sitter really wants privacy, whether they're allowed to sit on
    the pot when they "really gotta go now", whether the pot is safe to sit
    on when the pots are bought out of a glossy catalog, what can be put
    in the pot without tromping on someone's special needs, whether they
    wash their hands after sitting on the pot without becoming Big Brother,
    handling complaints from other folks who really did not want what was
    put in the pot, and trying to make sure that what was put in the pot was
    what they intended to put in the pot (or, God forbid, what they took
    out of the pot) without limiting innovation

    I know. Its late. :).

    • Re: Heres a Republican I could vote for...
      ... Security, etc., and cutting taxes while simultaneously freezing the ... simultaneously refusing to raise the debt ceiling? ... I'd vote for the Devil if he'd legalize pot. ...
      (soc.retirement)
    • Re: The Great Rake Debate- One Final Thought
      ... security. ... $4 out of your pot isn't horrible for what's being provided. ... All games should really be time charge based ...
      (rec.gambling.poker)
    • Re: How do you handle this situation? I about went bonkers...
      ... hands in a BBJ collision as if they were the nuts. ... Sitting in the 10 is an older talkative ... left in the pot. ... shook her head and put her head down because she thought I was dead ...
      (rec.gambling.poker)
    • Re: Rachels New Blog
      ... I was just sitting here and it's like I ... different feeling than the pot I smoked in college or whatever. ... from that picture in the Is Bob Married ... for the cigarette, which I told you about, after that. ...
      (rec.music.dylan)
    • Re: Kitchen Carpentry 101
      ... When you refer to an expensive vehicle do you mean your Ranger? ... Danny Boy...the pipes are calling... ... Are you stating in a public forum that I grow pot, ... Since Bassy does not exist, except as a NG nickname, Bassy and the real person behind Bassy could never be harmed by any statement made in a NG. ...
      (rec.boats)