Re: [fw-wiz] Allowing relay through Watchguard Firebox 1000

From: Frederick M Avolio (fred_at_avolio.com)
Date: 02/21/04

    To: "Bob Alberti" <alberti@sanction.net>, "Firewall-Wizards" <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:38:17 -0500

    At 12:49 PM 2/21/2004 -0600, Bob Alberti wrote:
    >(I am also willing to replace the Watchguard SMTP proxy with non-stateful
    >port-redirect to the mail server and let the mail server manage the whole
    >relaying question...)

    Just an observation: this is how it starts. :-)

    Someone NEEDS to send e-mail from their telephones (for goodness sake!) and
    so we will consider replacing an application gateway/proxy server with a
    pass-through to the e-mail server. Does the e-mail server do everything the
    security policy requires?

    Have you asked on the Watchguard Users mailing list?

    I recommend looking at the Firebox logs to see what is triggering this. You
    do not know yet what the Firebox is seeing, so you don't know why it is
    generating this error.

    Fred
    Avolio Consulting, Inc.
    Weblog: http://www.avolio.com/weblog/
    AIM: fmavolio, Yahoo Messenger: avolio, MSN Messenger: fred@avolio.com
    PGP Key Fingerprint: 928D 0903 934F 8CFA 6124
                             BBF6 0B45 93C7 3521 CEA0

    • Re: Outlook wont send large attachments
      ... the one operating your own personal mail server. ... header to the e-mail client while they interrogate the message but that only ... the timeout due to excessive delay. ...
      (microsoft.public.outlook)
    • RE: No delivery report 4.4.7
      ... mail.rabarberlandet.dk is a mail server host on our ISP. ... Please let me know where the mail.rabarberlandet.dk host on. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Sendmail problem
      ... machines to my mail server (OK, right now it seems it is just my ... When it gets to my mail server, ... network when hostnames resolve to the localhost address. ... If something goes into localhost that needs to actually leave the ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Is a DC needed Here?
      ... Yes I FULLY agree with you I want the file server for the mail but there are ... the mail you can create accounts just in the mail server DB alone. ... My mail server does not require AD ... because a mailbox is a difinitive object. ...
    • Re: DNS MX Question
      ... You're also sending from that mail server, ... wouldn't match the rDNS of the hosting company's server. ... reverse DNS *or* A record matches the HELO string in a mail server. ... ask them to create a PTR record for me? ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)