[fw-wiz] PIX 515 Pci Network Cards

From: Deon Lasini (dlasini_at_mecc.com.au)
Date: 02/17/04

    To: <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:36:09 +1100

    Hi Guys,

    I happen to have an older PIX firewall , and after opening it and having a squiz
    inside I notice it just uses PCI network cards, so what I was wondering is
    can I pop a Dual Intel Gigabit fibre card in here and will it work??

    It's not for any production environment more of a see if I can do it for the hell
    of it kind of thing

    we're installing fail over firewalls and this one is the wrong revision for matching
    against the other PIX we have ,

    anyway thanks in advance

    cheers

    Deon Lasini
    Network Administrator
    Melbourne Exhibition and Convention Centre
    Direct: 61 3 9205 6454 Fax: 61 3 9205 6401
    E-mail: dlasini@mecc.com.au Website: www.mecc.com.au

    National "Best Catering/Banqueting" 2001
    Meetings Industry Association of Australia (MIAA)
    National "Meeting of the Year - over 500 delegates" 2002
    6th World Congress of Chemical Engineering
    Meetings Industry Association of Australia (MIAA)

    This communication (including any attachments) is intended only for
    the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may
    contain information that is privileged, sensitive and confidential.
    If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
    responsible for delivering the communication, distribution or copying
    of this communication is strictly prohibited without the express
    consent of the sender or the intended recipient. If you receive this
    communication in error please contact the sender immediately and
    delete it from your system.

    Although this message and any attachments are believed to be free of
    viruses or any other content that may be harmful to the computer
    system into which it is received or opened, it is the recipients
    responsibility to perform appropriate checking for such items.

    • Re: outbound filtering
      ... Nonetheless, it IS a hardware firewall, and since you felt inclined to mention that it wasn't, someone needed to provide correct information before whoever reads this thread becomes as confused about firewalls and Internet Security in general as you. ... Maybe Packet Sniffing, or Monitoring not just when a connection is made, but when an application changes (Kerio Personal Firewall provides this PROTECTION, if a process is changed, the user is alerted to it). ... I do know that when one process tries to access another (which is interprocess communication, not what you were trying to demonstrate just now), that Kerio does protect against that by alerting the user and asking if he/she wants to allow or deny. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Another Secure FTP thread -- Protection Levels
      ... Your company wants to have secure communications ... authentication has been performed and then steals the tcp session. ... At the same time your company doesn't want to allow an communication ... through your firewall that is not authorized. ...
      (comp.protocols.kermit.misc)
    • Re: Windows xp security
      ... I have made mistakes in configuration files in Linux that made the system wide open but I was not exposed because of the firewall configuration. ... Computer security is not relying on any single layer to keep you secure but multiple layers that must be crossed before communication occurs. ... I too have been running Firefox since the .8 days and am aware of several vulnerabilities where the flaw was related to Java or Windows where simply viewing an image could compromise the system. ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • RE: [fw-wiz] How AAA in PIX Firewall ?
      ... The problem of use site-to-site VPN is that I need to buy 1 PIX Firewall ... > Remote Office. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • RE: Windows Update v5 and XPSP2RC2
      ... Windows Update v5 and XPSP2RC2 ... You don't even need Group Policy (not that I'm not a huge proponent of GP ... > SP2 firewall settings. ... >> communication is a confidential and proprietary business ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)