[fw-wiz] Vlan's as effective security measures?

From: Ware, Larry (LWare_at_e-one.com)
Date: 02/09/04

    To: "'firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com'" <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 14:00:48 -0500

    Forgive a long out of field, and now working on getting back up to speed
    firewall admin, but would someone care to educate me concerning the security
    issues related to VLAN's? I have lots of them, and need to know why a VLAN
    is not an effective adjunct to firewall and router security policies.
    -larry

    <snip>

    > > My immediate response is no - the claim that nothing can possibly
    > > leak across a blade enclosure
    > > backplane sounds a lot like the old claims about VLANs being
    > > effective security devices -
    <snip>