[fw-wiz] Vlan's as effective security measures?

From: Ware, Larry (LWare_at_e-one.com)
Date: 02/09/04

    To: "'firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com'" <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 14:00:48 -0500

    Forgive a long out of field, and now working on getting back up to speed
    firewall admin, but would someone care to educate me concerning the security
    issues related to VLAN's? I have lots of them, and need to know why a VLAN
    is not an effective adjunct to firewall and router security policies.
    -larry

    <snip>

    > > My immediate response is no - the claim that nothing can possibly
    > > leak across a blade enclosure
    > > backplane sounds a lot like the old claims about VLANs being
    > > effective security devices -
    <snip>

    • Re: some reality about iptables, please
      ... He also links it to adaptive firewall rules ... harsh critical review by security professionals, ... BTW, my previous post should have indicated PRE-up and POST-down clauses ...
      (Debian-User)
    • [REVS] Bypassing Client Application Protection Techniques
      ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... protection programs. ... * Kerio Personal Firewall 4.0 ... And we got actually nothing in the field of client application ...
      (Securiteam)
    • Re: Recycler security issues on IIS server
      ... > latest upates to the server. ... > like to see the server put behind our firewall, ... other software, install all patches, IISlockdown, URLscan, use the correct ... the procedures you follow may vary depending on your security needs. ...
    • Why hasnt Symantec addressed nastier Messenger spoofs
      ... Norton / Symantec has been silent on whether Norton Internet Security ... DSL firewall will stop these kinds of pop-ups. ... major ISPs and broadband systems. ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • Re:RE : suggestions on a good firewall
      ... Subject: RE: suggestions on a good firewall ... CheckPoint does! ... with a url-filtering server. ... IT Technical Security Officer ...
      (Security-Basics)