Re: [fw-wiz] Botnets, IRC servers and firewalls?

From: Gadi Evron (ge_at_egotistical.reprehensible.net)
Date: 02/05/04

    To: Paul Robertson <proberts@patriot.net>
    Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 21:06:43 +0200

    > If we keep up the flawed analogy (hey, it's fun...,) you're saying that
    > the road crew who built the highway and the road to the user's parking
    > spot should be held liable whenever someone strikes a pedestrian.

    Your points, in response to mine, are flawed.

    Let's make it a theological debate, is God responsible if one of his (?)
    creations murdered another?

    Let's try and not go too far adrift?
    I made a bad analogy, you quite flame-bait-fully made a mockery out of
    it, let's move on. :)

    The point is not that users should pay for the crimes of the hacker who
    "0wned" them, but rather that ISP's should keep an eye on what their
    lines are used for, if it is illegal use.. they should stop it as far as
    law dictates, or would dictate.

    Most ISP's didn't even hold logs until a law came out that said they must.

    The analogy to a rental agency (or the guys who made the road? please..)
    is wrong.. the police man stopping you for speeding, is the right one,
    in a limited way.

    >>Users now can utilize the "Trojan horse defense" to get out of nearly
    >>everything, especially if the evidence in the case were not collected
    >>carefully (such as catch the guy in the act).
    > That's really an artifact of a particular case going wrong, not a
    > generalized defense (it's tried more and more often, but isn't often
    > successful.)

    I believe you are wrong, but I don't follow legal news often enough, nor
    do I understand much about the law to be able to say that for sure.

    Thanks for your input though. Please try and not go to personal levels? :)

            Gadi Evron.

    • Re: Towpath mooring as a tragedy of the commons? (was: Man-flu)
      ... nature of language than it does to describe the English language ... If an analogy were exact, ... AIUI (cudgelling brain to break loose memories of my law history ... Several fine buildings in this region were built by tontines. ...
      (uk.rec.waterways)
    • Legal questions raised over CIA drone strikes
      ... Four law professors offered conflicting views, ... issue because the CIA program — which has escalated in Pakistan over ... The CIA strikes are "a clear violation of international law," said ... to carry out attacks in Yemen and Pakistan, countries where the U.S. ...
      (sci.military.naval)
    • Legal questions raised over CIA drone strikes
      ... Four law professors offered conflicting views, ... issue because the CIA program — which has escalated in Pakistan over ... The CIA strikes are "a clear violation of international law," said ... to carry out attacks in Yemen and Pakistan, countries where the U.S. ...
      (soc.culture.pakistan.politics)
    • Re: What does "yield" to pedestrians actually mean?
      ... > preparing to cross or stop for jaywalkers? ... State law regarding pedestrians is based on Uniform Vehicle Code. ... does a motorist have to stop for a pedestrian waiting to cross, ... Arizona driver did not look for the pedestrian. ...
      (misc.transport.road)
    • Re: Diane Abbott on the speedophiles.
      ... Lots of people obey the law because it is the law, and they recognise ... If there was sometimes a 35 speed limit they might actually use it. ... pedestrian crossing when all the pedestrians have long since crossed ...
      (uk.rec.cycling)