RE: [fw-wiz] Botnets, IRC servers and firewalls?

From: Matt Bazan (Mbazan_at_onelegal.com)
Date: 02/05/04

    To: <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:54:15 -0800

    > As I said, I exaggerated, but so are you.. :)
    > Should you be held liable if you do not know how to drive a
    > car and hit
    > a tree? Or a person?

    Ok, now I just gotta jump in on this one.. A fairer comparison to
    broadband computer use than the one you propse above would be: say you
    left your car unlocked, in your driveway, and along comes someone who
    jacks the car and performs nefarious deeds using it. Are you to be held
    liable for this? Certainly not. I think the reasons why you would not
    be held responsible, in this case, are obvious.

    > I am not sure exactly to which level this should be held (in
    > my opinion,
    > and as I said, I am exaggerating, do forgive me). But if you
    > provide a
    > service you should be held liable, again, to a level, for
    > those who use
    > it.. to spam.. to attack.. or some other issues?

    > By my "car" analogy, which was -again- an exaggeration to prove a
    point,
    > I meant that I believe things won't get better until better laws are
    > made that force ISP's to deal with abuse, spam, etc.

    Hmmm..taking you car analogy to its logical conclusion.. Would you have
    various governing bodies passing ordinances stating where you should
    park your car at your house, how you should secure it, when it may be
    used, etc. etc. Where does this 'big brother' approach stop?

      matt

    • Re: Freedom for Mich
      ... sports and you ran your car into that tree to show all the car ... Never tried to play baseball -- didn't have the eyes for it... ... Never hit a tree -- gave up my license before that happened.... ...
      (rec.photo.digital)
    • Re: Are *observed* SR effects real?
      ... that the tree is moving wrt the car. ... pretty basic physics principle. ...
      (sci.physics.relativity)
    • Re: Are *observed* SR effects real?
      ... that the tree is moving wrt the car. ... pretty basic physics principle. ...
      (sci.physics.relativity)
    • Re: Are *observed* SR effects real?
      ... that the tree is moving wrt the car. ... pretty basic physics principle. ...
      (sci.physics.relativity)
    • Re: Diffraction Gratings versus Prisms
      ... |> | The mass of the photon, ... Driving a car into a tree doesn't change the mass of the ... |> Newtonian Mechanics insists the energy of the photon is the mass ...
      (sci.physics.relativity)