Re: [fw-wiz] Botnets, IRC servers and firewalls?

From: Gadi Evron (ge_at_egotistical.reprehensible.net)
Date: 02/05/04

    To: Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr <gwen@reptiles.org>
    Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 20:52:43 +0200

    > By that particular accounting, we should have you and all of your family
    > put down, because people in your town have committed crimes!

    I apologize for the multiple email messages, but a better analogy just
    scoured to me that may get my point across:

    If you own a gun and it was stolen. Then, somebody used your gun to
    murder someone. Are you responsible for the murder? No.

    Can you be held partially responsible because your gun was used, and you
    didn't guard it well enough? Absolutely yes.

    This is once again an exaggeration, I don't believe users should be held
    accountable if they were hacked (i.e. the "Trojan horse defense"). But
    if they were, they would perhaps keep their machines secure much like
    they (should) keep their cars fit for driving.

    This is all on the philosophical level/plain, you shouldn't kill a guy
    when he talks in the philosophical level/plain. :o)

            Gadi Evron.