Re: [fw-wiz] Botnets, IRC servers and firewalls?

From: Paul Robertson (
Date: 02/03/04

    To: "Mordechai T. Abzug" <>
    Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:18:16 -0500 (EST)

    On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Mordechai T. Abzug wrote:

    > I've often heard the argument that security and connectivity are
    > inversely proportional. IMHO, the problem with it is that
    > availability is supposed to be part of security. A firewall that is
    > "so secure" that it breaks connectivity/availability isn't secure at
    > all; it's a self-DOS.

    Only if the connectivity it breaks is allowed by the security policy, and
    the security policy needs to relect the business need for connectivity.

    I've yet to see a business need for BotNet clients to run successfully ;)

    Paul D. Robertson "My statements in this message are personal opinions which may have no basis whatsoever in fact." Director of Risk Assessment TruSecure Corporation
    firewall-wizards mailing list