RE: [fw-wiz] [1/2 OT] Tool to "draw" network topology

From: Melson, Paul (PMelson_at_sequoianet.com)
Date: 01/19/04

    To: <vinicius@lineone.net>, <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:55:00 -0500

    There are a variety of them out there, but most rely on SNMP to 'discover' the network. Having SNMP, even read-only, running on every device on the network is a significant security risk.

    If you need something a little more 'generic' check out Argus:

    http://www.cs.cornell.edu/boom/1999sp/projects/Network%20Topology/topology.html

    PaulM

    • CERT Advisory CA-2002-03 Multiple Vulnerabilities in Many Implementations (fwd)
      ... CERT Advisory CA-2002-03 Multiple Vulnerabilities in Many ... Products from a very wide variety of vendors may be affected. ... Many other systems making use of SNMP may also be vulnerable but were ... The Simple Network Management Protocol is a widely deployed ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • CERT Advisory CA-2002-03 Multiple Vulnerabilities in Many Implementations
      ... Products from a very wide variety of vendors may be affected. ... Many other systems making use of SNMP may also be vulnerable but were ... Numerous vulnerabilities have been reported in multiple vendors' SNMP ... The Simple Network Management Protocol is a widely deployed ...
      (Cert)
    • CERT Advisory CA-2002-03 Multiple Vulnerabilities in Many Implementations
      ... Products from a very wide variety of vendors may be affected. ... Many other systems making use of SNMP may also be vulnerable but were ... Numerous vulnerabilities have been reported in multiple vendors' SNMP ... The Simple Network Management Protocol is a widely deployed ...
      (Cert)
    • Re: snmp versus /proc
      ... >and I notice that several examples displaying things like memory usage ... >use snmp to gather the information. ... put the network management functions on system that are dedicated to ...
      (Fedora)
    • RE: Reconstructing network topology maps
      ... uses SNMP, for topology gattering, for both Level 2 and 3. ... Subject: Reconstructing network topology maps ... A co-worker told me he once saw a commercial product belonging to SUN ...
      (Security-Basics)