RE: [fw-wiz] Security dumming down - the king's clothes

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjr_at_ranum.com)
Date: 12/15/03

    To: <Bill@royds.net>, "'R. DuFresne'" <dufresne@sysinfo.com>
    Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:31:40 -0500

    Bill Royds wrote:
    >We have (like so many other places) sunk so much investment into Windows,
    >that changing to another OS requires far too much initial cost compared to
    >more of the same.

    Yes. If beating your head against the wall doesn't work, beating it
    harder (or at least, eternally) might be effective. You never know 'till
    you try. :)

    mjr.

    • Re: Safari and Cookies...
      ... > But I figured out everyone on Windows with just the OS. ... The truly dull continue beating their ... heads against the wall screaming over and over again, "Goddamn it, ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
    • RE: [fw-wiz] Security dumming down - the kings clothes
      ... that changing to another OS requires far too much initial cost ... If beating your head against the wall doesn't work, ... your own software or run Windows stuff in emulation. ... support Photoshop than to teach an average user Gnome desktop and GIMP. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: A Whole Lot of Nothing Going On
      ... To me, that is a beating. ... I lose 6% of my investment in such a short time, ... some travel agencies bail out of the business. ... my retirement funds are in pretty good shape. ...
      (alt.vacation.las-vegas)
    • Re: Steam wants to be just another app store
      ... They're beating MS to the Windows 8 version of the app store. ... I think its a potentially brilliant move, even if I never use it. ...
      (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
    • Re: From the "Nobody was surprised" department...
      ... There's a pretty good chance of 10.6 beating it, ... For a bunch of Mac users who pretend not to care about Windows there sure is a lot of posting by them about it. ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)