Re: [fw-wiz] Security dumming down - the king's clothes

From: R. DuFresne (dufresne_at_sysinfo.com)
Date: 12/14/03

    To: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr@ranum.com>
    Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:24:27 -0500 (EST)

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

            [SNIP]

    > A lot of folks recognize that the emperor has no clothes. The
    > question is: why? Microsoft's stuff is certainly PART of the problem
    > but another big piece of the problem is that people insist on buying
    > it and don't manage it right. There's enough blame to go around
    > and just assuming a conspiracy is too simplistic.

    ***
    > The truth is a more
    > complex combination of clueless customers, cruddy code, incompetent
    > federal IT workers, consultants out for a buck, marketing idiots, and
    > a dash of denial.
    ***

    Which still perhaps boils down to a depth of pockets as well as breadth of
    market penetration arguments doesn't it? Those 'incompetent federal IT
    workers' recognise Windows as a 'standard', and the 'marketing idiots' and
    'consultants out for a buck' make their bread off the recognised
    'standard'...<smile> A twisted circle forming an infinite economic race
    track?

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    --
            admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com