RE: [fw-wiz] Firewalls v. Router ACLs

From: R. DuFresne (dufresne_at_sysinfo.com)
Date: 12/14/03

    To: Ben Nagy <ben@iagu.net>
    Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:00:20 -0500 (EST)

    This is a very inciteful and informative thread, tons of information for
    people to take in consideration in network design and layout. Which keeps
    pushing me to one of the fundemental tenants of network security,
    layering, the ole 'onion skin' approach. And many of the old discusions
    here and the old firewalls list often emphasized an approach that avoided
    <what is now the *in vogue* term> monoculcural 'single point of failure
    pathway' into the heart of the protected environment. ACL's in the
    routers in conjuction with a more traditional firewall layer below would
    be the proper approach. Perhaps the choice of Nokia's can be considered
    for a replacement, but one has to consider all the aspects of single
    vendor issues if perhaps popping pixen in there instead <a beancounters
    dream?>. The logging alert features alone turn this layer into a IDS as
    well as another layer of control and packet level refinement. Of course,
    as I hinted in the beginning, I'm a fundamentalist in this perspective...

    What I'm saying is, if a change is required here based upon costs, rather
    then eliminate a layer of defense, consider a vendor change at that layer
    that better fits the economic resources avaliable. If the internal
    knowledge base is open source cluefull then you can always go that route
    to solve this problem, or shift some costs for the short term into
    training to gain this, better yet, support a growing economy and hire in
    the expertise and better balance the understaffing most IT deptarments
    face.

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Ben Nagy wrote:

    > My rambling inline.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                            http://sysinfo.com
    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                    -- Johnny Hart
    testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!

    • Re: [fw-wiz] Firewall routing thought...
      ... networks that the firewalls are protecting, ... and let the router sort out what networks are ... >>Your network layout isn't really clear from your email, ... >>you make a change in broadcast domains, the router is going to be involved. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Ask EU Technical Section: Networking questions
      ... I have just added a new lapdog to my household and so needed to set up a wireless network, so that it could share the broadband connection with the main PC. ... The router is a Belkin N Wireless Modem Router. ... You need to set the software firewalls on each PC to allow the local network to connect to them. ... If you can't Share the folder, you will need to enable File Sharing for the machine as a whole. ...
      (uk.media.radio.archers)
    • Re: Firewalls: whats the use?
      ... We are thinking obviously of different firewalls here. ... machine network and an untrusted network. ... they are a separate tool that can be used to control what people ... have access to based on a SEPARATE OSI Layer. ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • [fw-wiz] Firewalls v. Router ACLs
      ... used firewalls to protect our part of the network from network ... 100% successful and we have not been impacted by the numerous network-borne ... We are now being pressurised to remove the firewalls by the rest of the company. ... A secondary argument is cost - the router is seen as a one-off purchase ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • RE: HSRP with load balancing on a Cisco IOS based firewall
      ... Can I implement MHSRP across IOS based firewalls on Ciso routers? ... Split the network behind the Firewall into subnets say Network A and network ... Network A has router X as its primery and router Y as its secondary. ... My prelimnary research on HSRP gives me the understanding that in an HSRP ...
      (Security-Basics)