Re: [fw-wiz] Dynamic routing on a firewall

From: Paul Robertson (proberts_at_patriot.net)
Date: 11/29/03

    To: "Dawes, Rogan (ZA - Johannesburg)" <rdawes@deloitte.co.za>
    Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:53:52 -0500 (EST)

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Dawes, Rogan (ZA - Johannesburg) wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just wanted to pick the list's brain with regards to dynamic routing on a
    > firewall.
    >
    > Is it a good idea to allow a firewall to participate in dynamic routing? My
    > first thoughts are that it sounds like a really dangerous thing - you
    > certainly don't want to have routes changing so that a DMZ moves from one
    > interface to a different one, for instance.

    That's a part of it, the other piece of it is that dynamic routing
    protocols are complex animals- and complexity leads to bugs.

    > What mechanisms do the various firewalls (mostly interested in Pix and FW-1)
    > have to sanity-check routing updates that they receive?

    I've never allowed a firewall to do dynamic routing, so I can't directly
    answer that- but BGP is really the only routing protocol I'd want to place
    into a hostile environment, and then I'd want the implementation to be
    bullet-proof, so I'd put in routers, and leave firewalling to the
    firewalls and routing to the routes...

    Paul

    • [fw-wiz] Dynamic routing on a firewall
      ... Is it a good idea to allow a firewall to participate in dynamic routing? ... Each party is in their own DMZ. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • RE: [fw-wiz] Dynamic routing on a firewall
      ... The PIX is a terrible router, for a start, but even so the idea makes my ... > dynamic routing on a firewall. ... > party is in their own DMZ. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Stateful firewalls and dynamic routing question.
      ... I still don't see how dynamic routing can ... cause problems for a stateful firewall if the firewall only looks at IP ... and port numbers. ... The source MAC address of any packet that arrives at your router will ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] Dynamic routing on a firewall
      ... > Is it a good idea to allow a firewall to participate in dynamic routing? ... FW-1 and PIX, because I have moved away from using those FWs, but I seem ... to recall the means existing in both cases. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)