RE: [fw-wiz] Dynamic routing on a firewall

From: Ben Nagy (ben_at_iagu.net)
Date: 11/28/03

    To: "'Dawes, Rogan (ZA - Johannesburg)'" <rdawes@deloitte.co.za>, <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:47:15 +0100

    My quick 0.02.

    It's a bad idea.

    The PIX is a terrible router, for a start, but even so the idea makes my
    flesh creep. For your scenario, how about using statics with different
    metrics, or an external load balancing solution (which is the 'standard' way
    of handling the problem on the Internet interface).

    If you do decide to do it, then you can use route filtering per interface to
    restrict what networks you will allow updates for - this is how it's done in
    WANs and the Internet (or how it _should_ be done ;)

    Cheers,

    ben

      ... is on this interface", rather than having to work it out manually each time. ... Obviously, if the firewall is using dynamic routing, there would be no ... >> party is in their own DMZ. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • [fw-wiz] Dynamic routing on a firewall
      ... Is it a good idea to allow a firewall to participate in dynamic routing? ... Each party is in their own DMZ. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Zonealarm
      ... That's a good part of what makes a router a firewall. ... The original question was whether one still needs a third party ... filter software won't alert to them and you will think it is not ...
    • Re: Zonealarm
      ... Well, if they managed to hijack your router, then all is lost ... That's a good part of what makes a router a firewall. ... The original question was whether one still needs a third party ...
    • Re: Zonealarm
      ... Well, if they managed to hijack your router, then all is lost ... party). ... That's a good part of what makes a router a firewall. ... the presence of the Windows Firewall in case you find ...