RE: [fw-wiz] Problem with TCP 1433, conduits and ACLs...
From: Andy Lyakhovetskiy (andy_at_net4bay.com)
To: <firstname.lastname@example.org>, <email@example.com> Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:01:43 -0800
If you have MS SQL 2000, then go to "SQL Client Network Utility" on
webserver and remove all protocols except TCP/IP.
If you have SQL 6 or 7, then go to ODBC connections setup and remove all
extra protocols from there.
[mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org] On Behalf Of Wes
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 11:22 AM
Subject: [fw-wiz] Problem with TCP 1433, conduits and ACLs...
Had a strange problem last night doing a PIX upgrade. Here is the
2 PIX515E in failover configuration. Upgraded the PIXOS to 6.3(3) from
6.1(4). Installed new activation key for 3DES (they have UR license).
The next step was to convert a bunch of conduits and statics to ACLs.
The original statics were "open". IP x to IP y kind of stuff. We
converted them to port specific statics. The conduits were also
converted to ACLs. Seemed pretty straight forward. When we applied the
changes, everything seemed to be working except for one webserver. The
server build the web pages from a SQL database running on the internal
network. The server would not load any pages and displayed a custom
error message that essentially stated "I can't access the database".
Every other system worked fine however, and for the real kicker I could
telnet from the webserver to TCP 1433 on the SQL server and get the SQL
session to come up.
The original conduit/static was as follows:
static (inside,dmz) 172.16.11.134 172.16.4.134 netmask 255.255.255.255 0
0 conduit permit tcp host 172.16.11.134 eq 1433 host 172.16.8.101
The new ACL/static was as follows:
static (inside,dmz) tcp 172.16.11.134 1433 172.16.4.134 1433 netmask
255.255.255.255 0 0 access-list dmz_ingress_01 permit tcp host
172.16.8.101 host 172.16.11.134 eq 1433
In looking at the logs, I could see the hit count on the ACL increasing.
I could also see the sessions being created, but I never saw any data
passing. I added the "log" option to the ACL as well as putting an
explicit "deny ip any any log" entry and never saw anything that
indicated why the system wouldn't work. I was not running the sqlnet
fixup on that port number.
I am pretty much at a loss for what the problem was. In the end we
decided to roll back the ACLs for the DMZ and put the old conduits back
in place with the new static statements. As soon as we did that, it
started working fine. Clearly there seems to be an issue with how the
PIX is handling the ACL traffic as opposed to the conduit traffic, but I
can't see what that might be. TIA.
firewall-wizards mailing list email@example.com
firewall-wizards mailing list