Re: [fw-wiz] PIX 500 as ROUTER ONLY

From: Luca Berra (bluca_at_comedia.it)
Date: 11/22/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 15:32:15 +0100

    On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 09:26:26PM -0800, Dario Calia wrote:
    >Which PIX model do you have? The PIX supports static
    >routing, Passive
    >RIP and a very complete implementation of OSPF. What

    Dario,
    correct me if i am wrong, the major difference in using a pix instead of
    a router would be that the pix does not forward packets on the same
    interface?

    --
    Luca Berra -- bluca@comedia.it
            Communication Media & Services S.r.l.

    • Re: Trouble with PIX 506 ver 5.1
      ... No. VLANs are not supported until PIX 6.3, ... A couple of models have no VLAN support at all; ... rip passive is only of value if there is a supplier of RIP information ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Re: Dual routers and PIX question
      ... OSPF comes into play: when you use RIP, the PIX doesn't like ... firewall to do any NAT required to make them work. ... If you use OSPF to select between PIX interfaces, ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Re: Dual routers and PIX question
      ... PIX 515E. ... I've been reading about OSPF, is that what I need to ... If you connect both routers to a switch that is then ... switching interfaces, but it can do it with OSPF. ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Re: ASA 5510 ospf config with pix 501
      ... several PIX models, not just ASA ... PIX 501 do not support OSPF themselves -- they are unable to change ... instead of multicast to allow the proper routing info. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Turn Off OSPF load-balancing
      ... on OSPF routes advertised to the PIX by said VPN routers. ... did you do auto cost reference bandwidth and try changing the cost ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)