[fw-wiz] Private IP going outside of the firewall

From: Maria Wing (mariawing_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 11/21/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 20:55:38 +0000

    I have this problem:
    We have this internal IP address (192.168.1.5) that somebody is using and I
    just need to know who/what machine.....It is suppose to be inside the
    company, my network configuration is really basic:
    line -> router/gateway -> firewall (NAT) -> switch/hub
    we use 192.168.1.x with 255.255.255.0
    If I disconnect the firewall from the router/gateway I lost contact with the
    192.168.1.5 (it is not answering the pings)
    When I use traceRoute, shows me:
    from my machine (private IP) goes to -> router (public ip) -> ISP wan IP
    address (Public IP) -> 192.168.1.5 (Private IP)

    Why the answer is coming from outside?...
    We use static IP. We use NAT on the firewall. Also we use VPN and if I ping
    a computer using VPN I see something like this:
    my machine -> the vpn machine
    Thanks for any help

    • RE: Sandboxing
      ... the 3Com Embedded Firewall would be extremely useful and enabling (in ... your case) when you look at it in a VPN context. ... This security policy will accomplish quite a few things: ... During the Policy Server installation, ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: VPN Firewall for new webserver
      ... > I'm setting up a webserver at a colocation and I need to put a VPN ... You're not going to get a quality firewall for that amount, ... and D-Link makes a DI-804HV unit ... users access to the SQL server, let them do it through a VPN session. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Firewall Info/Recommendations?
      ... I would seriously consider an air-gap solution. ... Let me outline a few features that no other firewall can touch. ... Provide secure access without a VPN from any web browser (this greatly ... > manageable without much higher-level support if you want things like ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] Integrated IDS/IPS/Firewall (Cisco ASA and Juniper ISG)
      ... complexity and architectural inelegance of having 3-5 gateway security ... VPN) convinced me to eventually champion a migration to Symantec's SGS ... Nice balance of "default deny" at the firewall, ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: two winxp home machines, varied results
      ... >The only firewall I have on my machine *aside* from the Cisco VPN ... Please don't change "restrictAnonymoussam", only ... >Here is the IPCONFIG and BROWSTAT listings for each machine. ...