[fw-wiz] PIX 500 as ROUTER ONLY

From: Dario Calia (dario_calia_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 11/21/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 21:26:26 -0800 (PST)

    Hello Michael,

    Which PIX model do you have? The PIX supports static
    routing, Passive
    RIP and a very complete implementation of OSPF. What
    you describe is
    quite easy to deploy. Here are some pointers directly
    from the Cisco
    web site:

    Pointer to section of the Configuration Guide on
    Routing:

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_63/config/bafwcfg.htm#1129432

    Pointer to some specific routing commands in the
    command reference:

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_63/cmdref/mr.htm#1027614

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_63/cmdref/mr.htm#1097803

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_63/cmdref/mr.htm#1097926

    In the end, there are two schools of thought on
    routing and firewalls and the PIX caters to
    both.

    Cheers, Dario

    | I have a PIX 500 that I want to use to connect two
    public IP networks.
    | I don't need to provide much security support,
    simply use it as a simple
    | router between subnets. Any ideas???

    • Re: VPN Design - is it possible?
      ... > And the PIX can actively partake in which routing protocols? ... provides resilience for the internet access only. ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Re: dymanic route table problem
      ... If it only happens in segments where the default ... gateway is pointed at the PIX, the PIX is responsible - it may not be doing ... router's routing table, ... Phillip Windell ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
    • Re: dymanic route table problem
      ... The redirect has been mentioned by another person as well and that is surely what it seems like it is happening. ... gateway is pointed at the PIX, the PIX is responsible - it may not be doing ... router's routing table, ... it will learn direct routes to hosts via an ip redirect. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
    • Re: two default gataways
      ... Can any one help how to configure routing on PIX ... If there is a WAN router, then the WAN router could send two default ... lot of experience into writing up the hidden problems with redundant ... The PIX model was not mentioned, ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Re: Client Machine cannot see Active Directory
      ... > The pix VPN allows all traffic between 1.0 and 0.0 ... This will cause routing errors on the ... As for the PIX routing between two private subnets, I've seen issues, and ... back to the DNS errors. ...