Re: [fw-wiz] Wayyy too many spoofed packets

From: Chris de Vidal (
Date: 11/21/03

    Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:35:56 -0500 (EST)

    Sorry if I misunderstand you, but you're saying it's normal for packets
    coming IN from the network to have my IP? See, that's my concern, not

    Netmask and broadcast match what you said:
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:DA:0C:04:6E
              inet addr: Bcast: Mask:

    Again, I'm only concerned about spoofed packets; packets coming from the
    outside in claiming to have my IP.

    So is this normal?

    Bill Royds said:
    > You have the default netmask set incorrectly (or not set at all) on host
    with IP SMB uses broadcast by default if it has not been
    given a WINS address to find hosts and net 172.19.x.x is a class B which
    by default has a netmask of and a broadcast address of
    > What you are seeing is perfectly normal for a Windows box with
    > windows network setup (broadcast for name resolution).
    >> From: "Chris de Vidal" <>
    >> Date: 2003/11/21 Fri AM 10:27:36 EST
    >> Subject: [fw-wiz] Wayyy too many spoofed packets
    >> I'm going to be installing firewalls on my internal servers (yes, I'm
    paranoid) and right now I'm testing in flag-only mode (don't drop any
    packets) on one server. So-far, so-good, except every day I get about
    >> "spoofed" packets; packets claiming to be my IP coming INTO the NIC card.
    >> Strangely, the destination is always my network's broadcast address.
    Perhaps even more strangely is I'm seeing it only on SMB (UDP 137:138)