Re: [fw-wiz] PIX 500 as ROUTER ONLY

From: Mikael Olsson (mikael.olsson_at_clavister.com)
Date: 11/17/03

    To: Michael Leland <mleland@mediaheights.com>
    Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 04:16:24 +0100

    Michael Leland wrote:

    > I have a PIX 500 that I want to use to connect two public IP networks.
    > I don't need to provide much security support, simply use it as a simple
    > router between subnets. Any ideas???

    AFAIK, the PIX software is pretty much specialized for firewalling.
    Trying to turn it into a router might not be possible.

    I suspect you could get it to work by cracking open the box, yanking
    the boot card (flash + ROM) and popping in a linux router floppy or
    somesuch though. You can kiss your warranty and support contract
    bye-bye, but if you insist on using the PIX hardware, I hear it's
    doable [1]

    --
    Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
    Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden