Re: [fw-wiz] PIX 500 as ROUTER ONLY

From: Mikael Olsson (mikael.olsson_at_clavister.com)
Date: 11/17/03

    To: Michael Leland <mleland@mediaheights.com>
    Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 04:16:24 +0100

    Michael Leland wrote:

    > I have a PIX 500 that I want to use to connect two public IP networks.
    > I don't need to provide much security support, simply use it as a simple
    > router between subnets. Any ideas???

    AFAIK, the PIX software is pretty much specialized for firewalling.
    Trying to turn it into a router might not be possible.

    I suspect you could get it to work by cracking open the box, yanking
    the boot card (flash + ROM) and popping in a linux router floppy or
    somesuch though. You can kiss your warranty and support contract
    bye-bye, but if you insist on using the PIX hardware, I hear it's
    doable [1]

    --
    Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
    Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden

    • RE: Router with security features
      ... Subject: Router with security features ... Well when looking at firewalls you have to understand that a PIX is a PC ... If you want the firewall to work well, ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: PIX Question
      ... to say on the locking down a router and yes the firewall will block internal ... With out some sort of filtering on the ... edge router you will still leave yourself open to certain attacks. ... Subject: PIX Question ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Auditing Router and Firewall - Checklist and Utils
      ... seems like I missed it and will try out PLA/FWANALOG for PIX log gathering. ... Treat input configuration as a PIX/ASA/FWSM-based Cisco firewall. ... Auditing Router and Firewall - Checklist and Utils ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] Cisco 2621 opinions
      ... The 2600 series is really designed as a border router for slow bandwidth ... IPFWIOS with CBAC is a great cheap firewall solution--for a small office. ... it is extremely limited (it does stateful packet inspection ... If the only other choice is the PIX, then I heartily recommend the PIX. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Kindly help me with this PIX problem
      ... If you have read the configuration that I posted, ... firewall configuration didn't change over many years and it did work ... PIX, our company cannot send or receive email. ... That command allows ssh to the PIX, ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)