Re: [fw-wiz] VPN and new ISP

From: Damian Gerow (damian_at_sentex.net)
Date: 11/11/03

    To: "'firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com'" <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:55:20 -0500

    Thus spake Richard Snow (rsnow@mountauburn.org) [05/11/03 22:37]:
    > My question is, assuming that traceroute shows nothing unusual,
    > what would your next step be in troubleshooting the issue -- and
    > demonstrating the problem to your provider?

    I know that there are different methods of traceroute -- using ICMP, UDP,
    TCP, etc. And I know that there exists at least one traceroute that will do
    whatever protocol you give it -- I'm just not sure if it will do IPSec or
    PPTP as a protocol. If anyone can give any further details, I can't
    remember the name of the tool -- I checked lft and ctrace, but neither will
    do anything other than TCP/ICMP/UDP.

    Other than that, just tell the person on the phone that they are blocking
    IPSec/PPTP traffic. And if they deny, ask to speak to Level 2.

    • RE: Traceroute
      ... Plain IP packets, and actually anything that travels over IP or with an IP ... garbage after the IP header and play with the protocol field in the IP ... The best defense against tracerouting is an egress filter for the ICMP time ... for ICMP and UDP packets used by standard traceroute tools use are easily ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • ICMP
      ... PING, TRACEROUTE arenīt working. ... icmp. ... How can I enable this protocol again? ...
      (comp.unix.tru64)
    • Re: [Q] how to unflatten a flat-array
      ... I wonder what traceroute would tell ... it's not a technology of ours. ... qssp: quantum slipstream protocol ... q2htp: quantum-2 hyper-drive protocol ...
      (comp.lang.ruby)
    • Re: cannot access gc.ca sites
      ... Do a traceroute to the same site from home. ... Could be a provider in one of those legs is screwed up, like in their routing tables. ... You could also try using a public proxy to which you connect your browser as the route from you to it is okay and the route from it to the target site is okay. ...
    • Re: Diagnose co-location networking problem
      ... current provider but that may give you some idea. ... $ traceroute 64.114.83.92 ... Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv. ... Stephan Wehner ...
      (freebsd-net)