Re: [fw-wiz] trusted & untrusted ports

From: Monkey Boy (hydra291_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 11/09/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 12:21:54 -0500

    Hello Hilal, I am a little confused here. It is the application which opens
    a socket to respond to a request recieved from a client. . You can configure
    your f/w to allow connections on certain ports, as well depending on the
    granularity offered by your firewall, which I believe is what your getting
    at here. Secondly I don't understand what you mean by trusted vs. untrusted
    ports? Can you elaborate further please. Thirdly all applications to my
    knowledge use the client server model of communication.

    regards,

    Don Parker

    >Dear List,
    >
    >I would like to open ports in my firewall so that i can access some
    >applications out of my network. consequently, I have two questions:
    >
    >1 - How I can Identify trusted ports vs. Untrusted ports ? assuming trust
    >is directly concern with the security prespective (include virus, worms,
    >hack, ...).
    >
    >2 - corret me from wrong please. "There are two types of applications: web
    >application (access through the http port), and client/server application
    >(access through a defined port should be opened on the internet gateway).
    >
    >your feedback and respond are highly appreciated.
    >
    >honeslty, I am getting very good information out of this email list, so
    >hopefully the answers will be benifitial to me and other members will to
    >improve their knowledge base.
    >
    >regards,
    >
    >Hilal

    • Re: OT: Of firewalls and MSN etc.
      ... >ports give a direct connection? ... I'll probably be proved wrong but I think MSN passes the end to end IP ... addresses as data when it sets up the connection, ... I don't think it's an issue for the operation of the client, if it was it'd be a pretty useless product. ...
      (uk.rec.motorcycles)
    • OT: Trend Micro WFBS beta starting soon
      ... getting pattern updates for laptops off the LAN. ... Trend firewall, even set to High, has inbound NetBIOS ports open. ... File and Printer Sharing" and when someone chooses it, it opens inbound ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Trend Micro WFBS beta starting soon
      ... before getting pattern updates for laptops off the LAN. ... Trend firewall, even set to High, has inbound NetBIOS ports open. ... File and Printer Sharing" and when someone chooses it, it opens inbound ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Trend Micro WFBS beta starting soon
      ... before getting pattern updates for laptops off the LAN. ... Trend firewall, even set to High, has inbound NetBIOS ports open. ... File and Printer Sharing" and when someone chooses it, it opens inbound ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Slow opening of files
      ... will post the IP config tomorrow when I can access a workstation, ... if they open the file via the Office App itself the file opens ... The client has a member server and the same ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)