RE: [fw-wiz] OT: Happy Birthday Marcus and Happy Guy Fawkes Day

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjr_at_ranum.com)
Date: 11/06/03

    To: "Stiennon,Richard" <Richard.Stiennon@gartner.com>, "Smith Gary-GSMITH1" <Gary.R.Smith@motorola.com>, firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:06:30 -0500

    Stiennon,Richard wrote:
    >Very appropriate to imply a connection between two people who are/were prone to setting off explosives, incendiary devices, firearms, etc. :-)

    Mr Fawkes' objectives were political in nature - and he was a lot more
    willing to hurt people for his beliefs than I am. :) There's also a fundamental
    mindset difference between the folks who try to set off barrels of gunpowder
    (broad, indiscriminate targetting) and the folks who collect and shoot long-range
    rifles (single point, highly discriminate targetting) I suspect if Guy Fawkes had
    chosen his tools better, he'd have been more successful. A 660-grain power of
    veto is something you can't help paying attention to.

    mjr.