Re: [fw-wiz] iptables with ipchains param.

From: Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr (gwen_at_reptiles.org)
Date: 11/03/03

    To: Andrew Cook <cook@bkik.hu>
    Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:38:06 -0500 (EST)

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Andrew Cook wrote:
    > I use 2.2 kernel with ipchains and I want to upgrade 2.4 iptables .. I able
    > to use ipchains.conf for iptables ?? I heard about kernel compiling
    > parameter for iptables..
    >
    > Can I use iptables with old ipchains.conf ? Or you know a trick for
    > compiling ipchains.conf into iptables.conf ????

    Hi Andrew -

    First off, you might take a look at http://www.netfilter.org/.

    Secondly, I think you might find a web search using terms like "ipchains
    upgrade iptables" useful.

    Also, all of the various linux distributions run mailing lists which
    appear to have addressed your concern at various points in time, so an
    achive search would be an excellent use of your time.

    Beyond that, ipchains and iptables do not use the same configuration
    files, so you'd be stuck having to rewrite.

    Generally, I'd look at this as a good opportunity to examine your
    current configuration, and make sure that it still does what you
    want it to do, since we all known that configs tend to get crufty
    over time.

    cheers!

    • IPtables logging failure (multiple NICs)
      ... (Monitor port on Cisco switch) ... Only eth0 is able to receive all traffic using IPtables and tcpdump. ... Here are more details on my configuration: ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: VPN Through Firewall To Office
      ... while decent people will send SYNs for new connections and not send SYNs ... achieved by doing 'iptables -A INPUT -j REJECT'; ... Your configuration still allows all locally-initiated connections. ... Your configuration also does not allow active FTP; ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: Ubuntu Router misc questions
      ... P.S. it would be interesting to continue discussion about ufw configuration, ... added your iptables and save iptables configuration ... Modify settings or unsubscribe at: ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: Mandrake Security Firewall (iptables + kernel 2.4 + DMZ + shorewall)
      ... > - the web interface is written in php so all the configuration is done ... > - logs for iptables, dhcp, squid, snort, prelude ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: General firewall question
      ... >>either you should take full responsibility for the security of your ... Iptables is a very good firewall. ... After you get a trial configuration ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)