Re: [fw-wiz] Personal Firewall Day?

From: Devdas Bhagat (devdas_at_dvb.homelinux.org)
Date: 10/11/03

    To: Firewall Wizards <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:56:15 +0530

    On 10/10/03 18:00 -0400, Bill Royds wrote:
    > The argument between general purpose computers and specialized ones
    > parallels the debate between public transit and individual automobiles. One
    > can easily show that using public transit for most urban transportation
    > needs would lower pollution, infrastructure costs and increase safety.
    I have been in cities with good public transport, and with lousy public
    transport.
    My experience has been that where good public transport exists, it is
    flexible enough to get me to my destination with less hassle than it
    would be for me to have my own vehicle.

    <Agent Smith voice>
    What is the use of having your own vehicle, if you cannot get to your
    destination?
    </Agent Smith voice>

    OTOH, in a case where public transport is bad, then having your own
    vehicle gives you much needed transportation.

    I would rather use this argument for comparing the public Internet, and
    private point to point circuits.
    Not for comparing general purpose computers and specialized ones.
    (Just opposing a bad analogy).

    Devdas Bhagat

    • Re: Can they clamp your car for not displaying a tax disc?
      ... without a vehicle, and try to maintain one on low pay. ... Britain is very car-dependent simply because of the poor public transport. ... For example, in the town I am talking about, when I moved there in 1985, there were still several factories which employed a large proportion of the local population - they have now all gone. ... Once you are on the dole, it's hard to afford driving lessons. ...
      (uk.legal)
    • Re: ITS HARD OUT HERE FOR A WIMP
      ... public transport is dismal but parking space is available by the hectare, ... those of us who rely on public transit usually pick places that are easily ... countryside without arranging transportation, I have no choice but to rely ... the car is always going to be best for that. ...
      (rec.travel.europe)
    • Re: Can they clamp your car for not displaying a tax disc?
      ... Adrian wrote: ... they were saying: ... without a vehicle, and try to maintain one on low pay. ... there is no public transport that can be used to get to work. ...
      (uk.legal)
    • Re: Seatbelts in a motorhome
      ... No more of a stupid question than if the vehicle were in motion. ... One is public transport and therefore good, ...
      (uk.rec.driving)