Re: [fw-wiz] Personal Firewall Day?

From: Devdas Bhagat (devdas_at_dvb.homelinux.org)
Date: 10/11/03

    To: Firewall Wizards <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:56:15 +0530

    On 10/10/03 18:00 -0400, Bill Royds wrote:
    > The argument between general purpose computers and specialized ones
    > parallels the debate between public transit and individual automobiles. One
    > can easily show that using public transit for most urban transportation
    > needs would lower pollution, infrastructure costs and increase safety.
    I have been in cities with good public transport, and with lousy public
    transport.
    My experience has been that where good public transport exists, it is
    flexible enough to get me to my destination with less hassle than it
    would be for me to have my own vehicle.

    <Agent Smith voice>
    What is the use of having your own vehicle, if you cannot get to your
    destination?
    </Agent Smith voice>

    OTOH, in a case where public transport is bad, then having your own
    vehicle gives you much needed transportation.

    I would rather use this argument for comparing the public Internet, and
    private point to point circuits.
    Not for comparing general purpose computers and specialized ones.
    (Just opposing a bad analogy).

    Devdas Bhagat