Re: [fw-wiz] [OT] tcpdump parsing

From: Damian Gerow (damian_at_sentex.net)
Date: 10/08/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 16:32:34 -0400

    Thus spake Devdas Bhagat (devdas@dvb.homelinux.org) [08/10/03 15:58]:
    > tcpslice(8).
    > From the manual:
    > Tcpslice is a program for extracting portions of packet-
    > trace files generated using tcpdump(1)'s -w flag. It can
    > also be used to glue together several such files, as dis-
    > cussed below.
    >
    > The basic operation of tcpslice is to copy to stdout all
    > packets from its input file(s) whose timestamps fall
    > within a given range. The starting and ending times of
    > the range may be specified on the command line. All
    > ranges are inclusive.
    > <snip>

    Someone else suggested it to me, and this is what I see:

        [damian]@[pegmatite]:[~]% tcpslice -dr -w dump.out 99y10m07d +24h dump.refined.out
        dump.out Mon Oct 6 15:47:49 2003 Wed Oct 8 10:03:23 2003
        start Wed Oct 6 19:00:00 1999
        stop Thu Oct 7 14:00:00 1999
        [damian]@[pegmatite]:[~]% tcpslice -dr -w dump.out 100y10m07d +24h dump.refined.out
        dump.out Mon Oct 6 15:47:49 2003 Wed Oct 8 10:03:23 2003
        start Tue Oct 6 19:00:00 1970
        stop Wed Oct 7 14:00:00 1970
        [damian]@[pegmatite]:[~]%

    It looks like either I've completely misunderstood their date formatting, or
    else the version of tcpslice I have installed (from the base system on a
    FreeBSD 5.1 install) is not Y2K compliant.

    I've done some other digging, and have found out that about 99% of my dump
    is between ports 25 and 32101. Now I just have to figure out why/how people
    are connecting to 32101, as a full port scan of the computer has turned up
    nothing but the standard Windows ports listening, three different times.

    Since this has moved far and beyond the scope of the list, I'll refrain from
    posting anything else.