Re: [fw-wiz] Personal Firewall Day?

From: Paul Robertson (proberts_at_patriot.net)
Date: 10/05/03

    To: Charles Miller <cmiller@pastiche.org>
    Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 10:56:49 -0400 (EDT)

    On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Charles Miller wrote:

    > Interesting timing:

    But completely not related.

    > 'To combat the problems with patch management, however, the company
    > [Microsoft] is moving to a "securing the perimeter" strategy where it

    My initial reaction was "ISA isn't selling well enough, what can we do?"

    But then I realized they really just don't get it. Trustworthy Computing
    Initiative and all.

    Most of the virus activity could be handled in the newer OS' by removing
    the execute bit from attachments when they're saved, and not allowing the
    autolaunch of half a bazillion different file matchings from whatever
    directory mail saves to. It wouldn't even take them a week to code and
    test the fixes. Heck, they could put Explorer (the local one, not the
    Internet one) on a list of execptions and be done for 99% of users.

    Worms are another matter. I think that the work the OpenBSD folks have
    been doing is interesting, and I think that exec-shield for Linux will
    pretty much make the Linux worm a thing of the past. Microsoft, however
    has the problem that they really want to own the world, and therefore
    Palladium is their only answer to all things security.

    Paul

    • Re: Spoiler - Monday
      ... When Darrell began to tell Matt that Lilian had come to the ... I didn't register Darryl showing any signs of realising what he'd done. ... reaction before we heard his verbal one. ... so he knew Darryl had been working for Paul then. ...
      (uk.media.radio.archers)
    • Re: When Paul is Dead
      ... What kind of world reaction will we get when Paul is dead? ... Linda's death is any indication of how he has instructed others to ... they're going to die, and they won't be surprised by Bob's beating them ...
      (rec.music.beatles)
    • Re: macro v. micro.
      ... Paul J Gans wrote: ... equilibrium constant for the reaction. ... Breathing is overrated. ...
      (talk.origins)
    • Re: macro v. micro.
      ... Paul J Gans wrote: ... equilibrium constant for the reaction. ... Also there are not frequent enough rest stops for walkers. ...